STYLE FILES // EMILY.
Meet Emily | Designer at Gypsy East | London / Sydney
1. Please introduce yourself
Hello… My Name is Emily-Louise McGuinness, I’m 27 (shhhhh dont tell anyone) and I have a jewellery company with my two best friends Sylvie and Olivia. I also work for Topshop on the Visual Merchandising team.
2. Where are you from?
I’m from the UK but I like to keep moving. It’s good to constantly see something new. But for now I’m based in Australia.
3. Describe your style…
I don’t really know how to? I’d like to say eclectic and fun.
4. Where do you shop?
I think most my clothes find me. Something bright or shiny always pokes out between the clutter at second shops or markets.
5. What’s in your iTunes ‘recently added’ playlist?
I have been listening to a lot of Bonobo recently, they are beautiful. And Little Dragon… you have to download the Move d @stattbad wedding 2013-07-06 mix and have a little boogie.
6. What films genres are you into? What are your top 3 all time favourite films?
I love Baz Luhrmann’s old stuff - Romeo and Juliet & Moulin Rouge are my favourites. I also loved Avatar.
7. What are you reading at the moment?
Keith Richards from the Rollings Stones biography ‘Life’. He has had a pretty mental one.
8. Tell us about your hobbies…
Just Gypsy East and travelling….festivals…painting.
9. What’s your staple item (clothing)? What do you take out the door with you every day?
A bag to keep all my crap in is essential. I lose everything.
10. Are you an accessories person? If so, what kind? Watches? Jewellery? Hats?
Yes I love jewels, glitter, trinkets and headwear…. I don’t think I have ever owned a watch.
11. How do you think your city/home has influenced your style?
It has, massively. East London is a great creative and artistic hub. There is always something to stare at when you walk down the street. Travelling has made me more free and it’s so fun to find exciting and unique pieces that you won’t find again.
12. What style advice have you inherited from your mum/dad?
My Mother is a little Steve Nicks and a little hippy. I think it has rubbed off on me a tad.
13. Who are you following on Instagram? (top 5)
At the moment I have an old school Nokia. I can’t seem to keep hold of an iPhone for very long! I misplace them quite a lot. But everyone should follow GYPSY EAST! @gypsyeast.
Hat from Thrift Shop
Kimono custom-made in Vietnam.
Shoes Glebe Markets
Head Piece Gypsy East
Silver Bra Top from Savers in Melbourne
Trousers only £1 in a Market on Brick Lane in East London.
Jumpsuit from a little shop in Bangkok
Hair Wraps Gypsy East
Jewellery Gypsy East
Emily, thanks for stopping by CMHQ and sharing your style tips! xx
If you love Emily’s style and want to see more, follow her on Instagram at @emily_gypsy and @gypsyeast.